The Cardboard Kingdom
“A breath of fresh air, this tender and dynamic collection is a must-have.”
Welcome to a neighborhood of kids who transform ordinary boxes into colorful costumes, and their ordinary block into cardboard kingdom. This is the summer when sixteen kids encounter knights and rogues, robots and monsters—and their own inner demons—on one last quest before school starts again.
Perfect for fans of Raina Telgemeier, Awkward, and All’s Faire in Middle School, this graphic novel follows a neighborhood of kids who transform ordinary cardboard into fantastical homemade costumes as they explore conflicts with friends, family, and their own identity.
In the Cardboard Kingdom, you can be anything you want to be—imagine that!
The Cardboard Kingdom was created, organized, and drawn by Chad Sell with writing from ten other authors: Jay Fuller, David DeMeo, Katie Schenkel, Kris Moore, Molly Muldoon, Vid Alliger, Manuel Betancourt, Michael Cole, Cloud Jacobs, and Barbara Perez Marquez. The Cardboard Kingdom affirms the power of imagination and play during the most important years of adolescent identity-searching and emotional growth.
“There’s room for everyone inside The Cardboard Kingdom, where friendship and imagination reign supreme.”
“A timely and colorful graphic novel debut that, like its many offbeat but on-point characters, marches to the beat of its own cardboard drum.”
The Cardboard Kingdom received starred reviews from:
And The Cardboard Kingdom is recommended by a variety of organizations and publications!
- Eisner Award nominee: Best Publication for Kids (ages 9-12)
- Illinois Reads – 2019
- Winner of the Burr/Worzalla award (2019) from the Wisconsin Library Association
- DiNKY Award Winner: Best Work for Young Readers
- Society of Midland Authors Honoree for Children’s Fiction
- School Library Journal – Best Books 2018
- New York Public Library “Best Books for Kids” – 2018
- National Council of Teachers of English Recommended Book
- The New York Times